rulehigh dot com

Notifications, meetings, etc.

Moderators: Bill Burchfield '59, GinaGaller1978

rulehigh dot com

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:54 pm

Folks, it is about time (August) for me to renew the domain name and hosting service for http://www.rulehigh.com.

The purpose of this message is to decide if it is actually worth continuing the site.

The site will have been active for 2 years this September. I look at the "Traffic" each month. This gives me the number of times each page is viewed and the site as a whole each month.
Since it's inception, the traffic has been steadily decreasing. Last month had the fewest 'hits' since I went live with it 2 years ago.

This does not even account for the forum/message board. We only have 117 registered on it and out of those 117, only 35 have made at least one post. In fact the breakdown is:
I have made 72 posts
2 have made 21 posts each
1 has made 18 posts each
1 has made 8 posts each
1 has made 7 posts each
1 has made 6 posts each
2 have made 5 posts each
3 have made 4 posts each
5 have made 2 posts each
18 have made one post each
that is only 35 out of 117 having made at least one post each.

There are approximately 4,762 grads over 53 years of Rule and I have ONLY 219 email addresses. That is 4.5% of all the graduates. I know those from the 40s and 50s probably aren't into computers, but I don't buy that for especially the 70s to 91.

Now I realize everyone is busy and has more important things in life to do. But these numbers don't indicate it is worth the cost and effort to keep this site going, even though I enjoy doing it for the most part.
I took this on because the owner of rulehighschool.com could or would not keep it current nor in working order.

Now I am not complaining nor berating anyone. Just trying to determine if the interest is not truly there.

Thanks for your time.
Bob Grant '65, your friendly site administrator
Bob
Site Admin

Re: rulehigh dot com

Postby Sheila » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Bob:
I am going to add my two-cents worth and hope that others will follow. I LOVE this site and would really hate to see it disappear. I especially enjoy being able to look at the many yearbooks that you have listed and also get a good laugh out of the jokes. I just found out about this site, as well as the other two, a few months ago so I wonder how widespread the information still is. I have been trying to get the word out to the folks that I talk to but I just don't know how interested people really are. I log on fairly regularly to see if there are any replies to the Shoney's gathering but find that folks apparently are not interested in that either. I will keep passing the information along and hopefully things will pick up. I hate to see it go but, if people are not using it, I can see your point.
Sheila (Black) Hilton '71
Sheila

Postby rcpresl » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:55 pm

Hi Bob,
I would like to disagree with your stats, but I believe they are correct; most people from the earlier classes (mine was '57)just don't do a lot on the internet. I just saw some stats that help explain this. Unless we've learned it in our job or in education beyond high school, we just don't seem to use the internet that much. As an example, I have a younger sister who goes to all the breakfasts at Shoney's, but she won't use the internet. Many of the messages on this forum get hits, but very few send replies. There is probably another dynamic at work here: lots of people just don't like to get involved. Even fewer would stay interested if asked to help pay for the site. I realize this sounds very negative, but that just seems to be the way it is.
Ray
Ray Presley 57
rcpresl

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:13 pm

Ray,
I certainly am not asking anyone to help pay for the site. I apologize if that's what anyone read into my message.
Bob Grant '65, your friendly site administrator
Bob
Site Admin

Postby rcpresl » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi Bob,
In looking back at my post, I can see how it did sound as if I thought you were asking for financial support. I said that by way of illustrating my point that some folks, many in the case of rulehigh.com, just don't want to get involved even if it is "free". Thanks for all you do, and I certainly hope others will get on board and open their teeth. I have noticed that with the exception of Jerry VanHoozier, most of those who write are younger and probably more compuer/internet-savy.
Ray
Ray Presley 57
rcpresl

Postby Ann74 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:22 pm

I enjoy the website and understand it is a lot of hard work on your part. Too bad few choose to use it. Since I don't live in the Knoxville area,I would hate to see it go. I can keep in touch a little with memories of Rule High since I lost all of my yearbooks in a fire several years ago. Thanks for all the good work you have done on this and I hope you can keep it going.
Nancy Ann Jones 1974
Ann Jones Horton 74
Ann74

Postby jimmyb409 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:21 pm

Bob,Thanks for all your hardwork.I don't use it much but I respect the way you are givng your all and putting your heart and soul in it.If I can be any help please let me know.
Jimmy Bishop '80
jimmyb409

Postby leah » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:53 pm

Bob,

This is a great site! I'm new to it. Can't remember how I stumbled across it. You've done a terrific job. I think some PR might help, but I'm not sure how you can get the word out. Also I have to mention that the 1970's were filled with apathy. I hope people can take that with the dark humor that is intended. As far as attending things, I have an illness that makes that difficult. However, I'd love to hear about the happenings and conversations that take place.

I hope you can hang in there!

Appreciatively,

Leah Cox Class of '70
Leah Renee Cox '70
leah

Postby slee » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:32 am

Great site I just register today and plan on looking in time by time. Now if anybody know me they know my
education isn't to good . So you all will have to read between the lines and add a few words on my post to make
them out. I do plan on going to the breakfast at Shoney's starting in December. This coming month I'm going
bear hunting in South Carolina for 10 days.
Sam Lee

Sammy Lee 1970
slee
Very Active Member

Return to Information for ALL

• VISITORS