The Day We went To Stacy's for Lunch

Anything Sports Related

Moderator: Bill Burchfield '59

The Day We went To Stacy's for Lunch

Postby JERRY R VAN HOOZIER » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:28 pm

One spring day in 1955 Charles Buckner, Ray Human, and I decided we would have lunch at Stacy's down on Tennessee Avenue instead of eating in the cafeteria. We were to play East that night at Bill Meyer Stadium. As we came up the path to cross Vermont Avenue and walk into the school and be home free, there was a gentleman standing across the street on the sidewalk motioning for us. It was Sid Hatfield our baseball coach. He said you 3 sports come into my office with me. When we got in his office he said guys you have a big decision to make. You can either sit out of tonight's game or take 3 licks from my paddle. All 3 of us chose the licks. We played that night and won. Can't remember the score am getting old, but sometimes even now I think I can still feel the pain from Coach Hatfield's paddle. My those were sure the good ole days.
Jerry VanHoozier '56
JERRY R VAN HOOZIER

Hey "coach"

Postby dannybrown » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:04 am

Seems like we all took some licks while at Rule. I just saw where Ray Mears died. Do you remember when we met him? And Danny Tallman passed away he was always a good guy and he played for Waters Market. Those were the best days! Glad to know you're still around.
Danny Brown 69
dannybrown

Postby Susie » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:09 pm

I too was caught by Sid Hatfield for leaving school grounds for lunch I didn't get any licks, but was sure scared to death this was either 64, 65 or 66. What is even more amazing about this is that I am Ray Human's niece. Maybe Sid just looked for us "Humans" to get in trouble.
Brenda Human DeFord
Susie

Re: Hey "coach"

Postby JERRY R VAN HOOZIER » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:01 pm

dannybrown wrote:Seems like we all took some licks while at Rule. I just saw where Ray Mears died. Do you remember when we met him? And Danny Tallman passed away he was always a good guy and he played for Waters Market. Those were the best days! Glad to know you're still around.

Danny good to know a lot of you guys who played for us still remember the good old days. I heard from Neal Roundtree when my Mom died and then I saw 2 weeks later his wife died. We buried Herbert Waters the man who payed for everything so all you guys could play and it certainly was the Good Old Days.

Jerry
Jerry VanHoozier '56
JERRY R VAN HOOZIER

Re: The Day We went To Stacy's for Lunch

Postby Danny Buchanan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:04 am

Hey Coach, This is Danny Buchanan and I played on your 1st Water's Mkt. team. Remember how we all used to cram into your old 53 or 54 Ford and go from Beaumont to Lonsdale to play our games, I don't think you could get by with that today.
H.L., Herb's son, and a good friend of mine was just there because his Dad made him play. We weren't very good that first year, but we sure had fun. Thanks to you, that's where I first learned to play baseball. Take Care, we think of the good ole days a lot.
Danny Buchanan 65
Danny Buchanan

Return to Rule Sports

• VISITORS