Elberta Roy - Class of 1947

Those who passed beyond this world

Elberta Roy - Class of 1947

Postby Bob » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:30 pm

TEAGUE, ELBERTA FAYE ROY GRAGG - entered the kingdom of heaven on November 12, 2014. She was born on July 11, 1929, in Knoxville, Tennessee, to the late Elbert and Avis Faye Turner Roy. Elberta graduated from Rule High School with English, Latin and mathematic awards. She then went on to attend the University of Tennessee. She then married and moved to Hickory, North Carolina. She retired from Vanguard Furniture after twenty years. For seventeen years prior, she was the office manager of the Hickory Daily Record. Elberta was a charter member of Springs Road Baptist Church, where she was active for forty-four years. She served as Prime Timers director and taught Sunday school from nursery to senior adults along the way. She attended Temple Baptist Church for six years and most recently Fairgrove Baptist. Elberta attained her sixty year membership with the Hickory Chapter No. 155 Order of the Eastern Star. She served as past matron from 1967 - 1968. She was district deputy of the 22nd District and served as Grand Ruth in the 1980 Grand Chapter of North Carolina, and most recently served as organist. Elberta was a life member, served in many stations and was Past Worthy High Priestess of Claudia Shrine NO. 12, White Shrine of Jerusalem. She sang with the Hickory Sweet Adelines for fourteen years. She was preceded in death by first husband, Otis Dorman Gragg; second husband, John Shelby Teague; and sister, Rebecca Lynn Roy. Left to cherish her memories are daughters, Doris (Sug) Gragg of Hickory, and Debra Gragg and husband Philip Kaylor of Claremont; granddaughter, Jamie Lea Sumpter; and great granddaughter, Morgan Lea Stout of Hickory; step grandsons, Justin and wife Allison of Taylorsville, Jordan and wife Kelsey of Conover, Jared of Claremont; sisters, Nancy and husband Bill of Knoxville, Tennessee, and Claudette Lewis of Leesburg, Florida; and life-long friend, Katherine Rader of Lenoir. A service to celebrate Elberta's life will be held Saturday, November 15, 2014, at 11:00 a.m. at Fairgrove Baptist Church in Hickory. Rev. Bob Philbeck and Rev. Neil George will officiate. Burial will follow at Springs Road Baptist Church in Hickory. The family will receive friends Saturday, November 15, 2014, from 9:45 to 10:45 a.m. at Fairgrove Baptist Church. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Camp Rainbow, C/O Hickory Chapter NO. 155 Order of the Eastern Star, 30 Catawba Valley Blvd SE Hickory, NC 28602. Do not stand by my grave and weep, I am not here. I do not sleep. The Lord has called me home, where I find I am not alone. Do not stand by my grave and cry, rejoice in knowing I did try. Everything is now already past, And I'm in my home at last! Condolences may be sent to the Teague family at www.robertbennettfuneralservice.com. The Teague family is in the care of Bennett Funeral Service of Conover, 828-465-2111 - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/knoxne ... wduMS.dpuf
Bob Grant '65, your friendly site administrator
Bob
Site Admin

Return to Departures

• VISITORS