Cindy Tucker - Class of 1968

Those who passed beyond this world

Cindy Tucker - Class of 1968

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:53 pm

Cindy Tucker Swicegood, owner of 18 Karat Model and Talent Management, died Monday, Jan. 25, at her home.

She created the modeling agency in the early 1980s using the success of the 1982 World's Fair to launch her vision. Over the years she gained a reputation in the industry for her dogged ability to get the best for her clients.

During the early years of her career she operated out of her home but as her business flourished she opened an office at 6409 Deane Hill Drive.

Ms. Swicegood, a graduate of Rule High School, has had numerous clients find success worldwide including Cole Monahan who recently signed a three-year contract with Elite Modeling. He got his start through her agency in 2013.

Micheal McCray has worked with Swicegood's company for more than 20 years. He described her as strong-willed but in a caring way.

"She was loyal to her people and wanted to get the best for them. She was always a supporter of mine and tried to do what she could to help me grow," he said.

Patty Watson worked with Ms. Swicegood for 15 years as a freelance makeup artist. She described her as "a very strong woman."

"She was the kind of person that always had you check yourself. She would challenge you to be a better person and through all of my encounters with her I always expected her to ask me what I was doing to better myself in my business and my personal life.

Cindy Douglas, owner of The Chop Shop Hair Studio, echoed similar sentiments.

"She was very tough but once you got past that toughness, she was a very caring and fair lady. She set high standards for those she worked with but she also held those same standards for herself. She was very intuitive and could read people well," Douglas said.

Brenda Murphy Mullins met Ms. Swicegood more than 20 years ago when signing her son to the agency. They became fast friends who talked on the phone weekly.

"She was a stellar woman, a very caring and a very giving woman. She did a lot for this community and has left one heck of a legacy. She was a big believer in faith and would help anybody who needed it. We were besties who talked on a weekly basis. I spoke with her last Friday and we were supposed to get together this week for lunch. I'm going to miss her terribly," she said.

Her granddaughters, Lexie Viles and Haley Alexandria, said their "mamaw" envisioned 18 Karat, loved 18 Karat and was 18 Karat.

"She loved everything about modeling. She loved her family and was loved by all in the community," Alexandria said.

Their memories include getting their nails done with Ms. Swicegood as well as shopping and buying makeup.

"We are happy that she's with the Lord," Alexandria said.

Ms. Swicegood was a member of First Baptist Concord.

A receiving of friends will be held from 2-6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 6, at Berry Funeral Home, 3704 Chapman Highway.
Bob Grant '65, your friendly site administrator
Bob
Site Admin

Return to Departures

• VISITORS